zag
Site Admin

Official repository overriding

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:48 am

I do understand where the idea of this PR comes from, but its a bit shocking for all us 3rd party repositories, especially the ones that are trying to keep legitimate.

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/12738

Chewitt sums it up nicely at the end.

Ned Scott

Re: Official repository overriding

Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:31 am

It's ripe for abuse, will have all sorts of unintended consequences due to their shortsightedness, and won't actually fix any security problems.

The number one concern for people who have a repo security issue are users who use pirate content add-ons. Those users will simply end up using a modified version, if it means easier add-on installs and crappy add-on patches. Legitimate users are the ones who will get screwed. Some on Team Kodi still doesn't get it, that they can't control what those pirate installs do.

A far better solution would be not to hardcore this in. Why the hell would they? Because they think they know better and want to force users, whom they look down upon, to do it the "right way". I recall one of those people yelling at a user for using RW/FF instead of skip steps... They should just have this override be a default setting, which allows experienced users (and the foolish, whom we can't help) to do what they want, while protecting the new users.

I'm really glad I'm not part of Team Kodi anymore. I know myself, and I would have raised holy hell over this PR, which probably wouldn't have helped anyone. Oh well.

zag
Site Admin

Re: Official repository overriding

Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:26 am

Yeh i'm not against security at all, but trying to force the Kodi repo over other (some perfectly legitimate) repos seems like a move from a large company that's wanted to restrict what people do with their Kodi installs. That's not what opensource is about in my opinion.

Return to “General Discussion”